Our Mission
San Diego Vintage Trolley, Inc., a non-profit subsidiary of the Metropolitan Transit System, aims to recapture a piece of a beloved era in public transportation by acquiring and restoring vintage streetcars for operation in San Diego.

 
 
 
 
 

History of Streetcars in San Diego

 

Streetcars made their first appearance in San Diego in 1886 in the form of open-air coaches pulled through the central business district by horses or mules. The first electric-powered version came a year later, a short-lived operation between downtown and Old Town.

PAC PCC 502 at SantaFe 1942

Then in 1892, famed entrepreneur John D. Spreckels bought a failed streetcar operation and launched the San Diego Electric Railway Company. Spreckels’ business played a key role in San Diego’s growth, providing access to areas such as Mission Hills, North Park, Kensington and East San Diego that were largely undeveloped at the time.

By the 1930s, however, streetcars were losing business to more versatile city buses and private automobiles.

KLD on Broadway 1949

In a last resort, industry executives designed the Presidents Conference Committee car, aiming to improve the style and comfort of a streetcar ride. More than 5,000 of these vehicles were produced. They made their San Diego debut in 1937 and continued operations until April 1949, after Spreckels’ company – now in decline -- was sold off to another transit business that relied on buses.

The PCC cars acquired for San Diego’s vintage trolley service are a postwar model – more readily available and in better operating condition than surviving examples of the cars that first plied local streets.

 

 
©2014 SD Vintage Trolley